Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I took a break from quilting last night, pulling out a basket of yarn and my crochet hook.  I saw a beautiful scarf last week at a department store - $58!  For a long row of granny squares stitched together!  And the loose yarn wasn't even worked in!  In my usual mantra,  I thought, "I could make one myself!  This thought has often gotten me in trouble in the past.  Sometimes I end up spending far more than the item costs in the first place.  Not this time.  I will use only the yarn I have, I promise! 
Our younger daughter made it home safely last night for her Thanksgiving break, so now the gang's all here.  The girls and I spent the morning shopping: new coats, shoes, and Christmas gifts for their friends at college.  While they both studied the afternoon away, I made the dressing and cooked the sweet potatoes for tomorrow.  I'm saving the turkey, gravy, and squash casserole to cook in the morning. When I was growing up, my mother did all the cooking ahead of time, so on Thanksgiving morning it was a matter of thawing and reheating.  To me, though, part of Thanksgiving is smelling the turkey roasting, the gravy simmering, etc.  So our house will be filled will wonderful aromas tomorrow.

This year I'm thankful for my wonderful husband, my two smart and beautiful daughters, and our parents.  I'm thankful for quilting and my wonderful quilting friends.  I'm thankful for our doggies, who make us laugh every day.  Happy Thanksgiving. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a great Thanksgiving with your family.Will be thinking of you all enjoying your meal together. Love it when my family are here all together. For us this will be at Christmas .