While I had my cutting table opened up and in the middle of my studio from yesterday's quilt basting, I decided it would be convenient to spread out my Kantha Quilt and cut the pattern pieces for the jacket I've been wanting to make. It's been a LONG time since I made a wearable!
The first problem I encountered was that the quilt was simply not big enough to cut all the pattern pieces! What to do? I decided to turn my jacket into vest. No sleeves. I'm okay with that. It will still be reversible.
Second problem? There wasn't enough length to cut all the pieces. What to do? Piece them! I sewed one quilt scrap to another to make a piece big enough to fit the required pattern piece.
Since I want the vest to be reversible, I need both sides to look good. So when piecing, I used a 5/8 inch seam, then pressed the raw edges underneath, and top stitched the edges. I only had to piece the collar/facing.
Here's the smallish pile of Kantha Quilt scraps I had left. I'm going to
Looking forward to having a big reveal of this vest soon!
Basket-a-day! Mint green!
Group shot: 7 blocks done! I rearranged them on point today - I likey like this!
I didn't start the Gee's Bend quilting yet. But now that the vest is cut out and my cutting table has returned to it's usual location, quilting will commence at any moment.