Friday, March 22, 2013

A Quickie Art Quilt


I took the plunge and did this much on the quilt top for the contest yesterday.  I'm the first to admit that it's a big mess right now!  I think I went too dark with some of the blues and the tree doesn't stand out as much as I'd like it too.  I think I can remedy that with some surface work with pencils and even a bit of paint if needed.

This is a different technique than I've used in the past for art quilts from photos.  Instead of my usual Fabric Photo Play technique, I'm using little bitty bits of fabric.  They are each held down with a tiny drop of fabric medium.  I didn't have anything else of hand and had no time to run to the store.  I figured that the fabric medium wouldn't harden up like glue and that I'll be able to stitch through it later.

Yes, there will be a TON of machine stitching on this - I must secure all those little pieces and I hope it will add movement and dimension to the piece.

I hope to finish the little quilt top this morning and maybe even do a bit of the surface color work.  Wouldn't you know I will be gone all afternoon?  The plan is to do the machine quilting over the weekend and be ready to photograph and submit it to the contest on Monday.  All a BIG IF!  Let's see if I can get it done!

No comments: