Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Measure of Quilting Productivity


One way to measure quilting productivity is a stack of finished quilts.  But another way is empty thread spools.  I'm saving them this year - let's see how many I have at the end of the year.  As you can see by the orange plastic spools, I ONLY use Aurofil thread - LOVE IT!  I use it for making hexies, for hand appliqué, for machine piecing, for machine appliqué, stitching binding....everything!


And that white cylinder on the right?  It's an empty spool of perle cotton.  I used an entire spool of thread (plus some from another) in hand quilting the last project.  Yes, I did finish it yesterday (YAY!), but it took longer than I expected.  I put the final stitch in at 9pm last night after working on it ALL DAY!  Whew!

While on Facebook yesterday afternoon, I noticed a local art contest.  Hmmm.  Photos of entries are due by March 25.  Hmmm.  Dare I?  Can I make an art quilt in a few days?  I'm not sure.  But I think I'll give it a try.

One of the categories for the contest is the iconic oak trees downtown which were poisoned and are now dead.  The trees have been rolled with toilet paper after athletic wins (football, especially) for decades.  After the Spring football scrimmage in April, the trees will be rolled for their final time and then will be cut down.  :(  The university has big plans though for replacing them with something beautiful.

I took this picture standing under one of the dead trees a few weeks ago.  I love the contrast of the stately branches against the clear blue sky with the sun glowing through.


I played around with the photo in Photoshop and ended up with this which will be my pattern for the quilt.  Due to time constraints I'll be making this quilt small - maybe 8" x 10".  I'd prefer to work larger but....oh well.  It will be so nice to work on a project that I can actually share here on the blog!


No comments: