Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pickin' and Grinnin'

After trying various white marking pencils which never showed up very well on my dark brown background, I went with the tried and true: slivers of soap. The soap glides on so easily and make the marking process much quicker. I mark a couple of rows, then quilt them. Then mark, then quilt. As I was marking the last bit, I realized I put the very first row of loopy feathers in the wrong place. Big oops.
So I spent the next 45 minutes doing this. (This floral is the backing of the quilt.)
Then I ended up with this. Very worth the effort! I marked this area again. This afternoon I plan to finish quilting all the loopy feathers so I can move on to the rest of the quilting.
I brought a doggy bed up to my studio yesterday. Mickey hates to be left behind downstairs.
Good night, Mickey.

3 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

I hate my seam ripper(it's a love hate relationship).... hahahaha! better to see it now that after your quilt it is finished...

Lynn said...

I use soap too for marking on dark fabrics - even smells nice!

Sandy Panagos said...

I have finally found the perfect thing for marking on dark fabrics and I LOVE it. It's Fons and Porters mechanical pencil. The leads are made from ceramic (I think) so they don't break easily. I haven't found anything about it that I don't like!

http://www.amazon.com/Fons-Porter-Mechanical-Fabric-Pencil/dp/B001UAKL4Y