Thursday, March 10, 2011

Back Basting Applique Tutorial: Part 1

I've gotten so many requests for a tutorial on my favorite way to applique - so here it is!

Start by tracing the REVERSE IMAGE of the applique pattern on the BACK side of the background fabric. For a light background (like my Baltimore Christmas blocks) I use a mechanical pencil. For a dark background (like my Lollypop Tree blocks) I used a Sharpie. Make sure the markings DO NOT show through to the right side of the fabric. You could also use a washable fabric marker, a ball point pen, a gel pen, a chalk marker, whatever works for you and your fabric.
Cut an over sized piece of fabric for the selected area.
Pin the applique fabric to the RIGHT side of the background. At this point I hold it up to a window to make sure the applique fabric is positioned correctly over the traced area, with enough extra for a turned under edge.
Working from the BACK, and using a THICK thread (such as button or jeans thread) baste the applique fabric to the background using big stitches (1/4 inch). No need to knot the thread - leave it loose.
Turn to the right side and trim the applique piece a scant quarter inch from the basting stitches. At this point let it sit for awhile. This will give the fabric some time to acquire a "memory," making it easy to turn the edges under.

To be continued.

No comments: