Thursday, March 10, 2011

Back Basting Applique Tutorial: Part 2

Using little scissors, clip every other basting stitch.
Thread a needle (I use number 10 quilting needles) with thread that matches the applique. I love my bobbin holder filled with a rainbow array of cotton thread. I got it here.
Using the tip of your needle, pull out one or two bits of applique thread. You can see the tiny holes left by the thread. You will be turning the edge of the applique under along this line of holes.
Using the tip of your needle, turn under the edge in a small area where you removed the basting stitches. Bring the threaded needle up from the back of the background fabric and through a couple of threads along the edge of the folded edge of the applique piece.

Continue to stitch the applique piece to the background, removing basting stitches as you go along.
Ta Dah! The finished applique!

Here's a very helpful hint: I keep a roll of clear tape nearby. I roll a piece of tape with the sticky side out and stick it to my shirt near my shoulder. As I remove bits of basting stitches, I stick the pieces of thread to the tape. This keeps all those little threads off the floor, and make them easy to discard.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Thanks for the little tutorial and tape tip! I have always wondered how to applique with this method. It looks pretty easy! No pins, no glue, no little bits of freezer paper that have to be removed. Nice!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, so very much, for this tutorial! I can't wait to try it!

Linda B said...

Thank-you for sharing. I am a die hard template and turn under person and need to learn this to do the small parts of Baltimore applique. I learned the great bobbin technique.....love it. I also learned the size of the thread as I was using fine thread and was showing no holes.

Valentina said...

Thank you so very much! This is a super tutorial, can't wait to give it a try, :)

Accroquilt said...

I would like to know how do you do for nice point, like a leaf?