Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Working With Dad's Shirts


Today's zigzag!  I liked yesterday's block so much with the conversational print (horns) that I dug into my stash to find another fun fabric.  That light print may just look like a cute floral, but click on it and look closer:  it's very Polynesian with little people dancing around.  A happy fabric indeed!


I've begun to cut up Dad's shirts and play.  This was my first attempt.  :(  Too busy.  Not enough contrast.  Hard to see the pattern.  Nope, this won't work.  But maybe I'll use this square to cover a pillow?


This is much better.  Simple.  Graphic.  And how could I not make some hexies for Dad!?  I want to make 3 quilts out of the shirts: one for me, one for my mother, and one for my brother.  This is a 9 inch finished square.  I'm not sure how many I'll need per quilt yet.  I'm not making BIG quilts, just lap sized.  I'm just going to dig in and start making blocks and worry about the final count another day.

3 comments:

Debby said...

What a labor of love, your family will be so excited to receive one of these memory quilts!!

Skye said...

The nicest memory you could pass on...A great job and one that is truly priceless!!

O'Quilts said...

I have the quilts I made from my father's shirts on my blog, #5 is here...the others can be googled ont eh blogsite. http://oquilts.blogspot.com/search?q=daddy%27s+shirts+quilts. I kept them all simple so I would be able to make so many for my family. Plus Daddy was from the country in Alabama..he liked the down home look! I would not be so quick to make a pillow from that lovely block..u never know a sampler quilt might be in order later.