Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Why I Hate Burlap!


Burlap is not my friend.

Yesterday my goal was to make two bags in various states of completion as samples for the book to go along with the one I'd already completed.  Over the last few months, I've looked high and low for the same fabric I used in the prototype I made last summer.  It was something I've had in my stash for years - a loosely woven neutral whose original purpose is to be used to make punch needle rugs with yarn or strips of fabric.  In typical fashion, I'd bought it along with the huge punch needle years ago and never used them.

I went to all the usual suspect stores:  Joann's, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby (where I bought the stuff in the first place).  No luck.  It looks a lot like burlap, so I figured I'd go with that.  I bought 3 yards.  Cut it up.

I worked on it all day yesterday.  I sneezed and itched and spread burlap "dust" everywhere.  I hated the results.  I finally gave up around 4 pm and went to a home decor fabric store.  Luckily I found something I think will work.  But now I need to make 3 bags so they'll all match.  And the fabric was $30 per yard - yikes!  Back home again, $100 poorer, I cut out three bags.  Then I spent the entire evening unsewing all the salvageable pieces I'd sewn onto the burlap.  I had to take a shower before I went to bed to relieve the itching.  After I crawled into bed, I found a burlap fiber in my mouth!  It's everywhere!  This morning I found a fiber in Prince's eye (he sat in my lap last night while I unsewed).

Today is a new day!  I WILL GET THESE BAGS DONE!

Happy May Day!






2 comments:

Delta Jewel said...

I had no idea that burlap was so horrible to work with. I itched just reading about your experience. Kathie Condon

Dora, the Quilter said...

And that is *exactly* why I hate burlap too!