Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What a Mess!


For the past 4 months, I've somehow managed to keep my sewing studio pristine while potential home buyers came through.  But we've been cleaning out the attic so things have changed!  Do you see that door at the end of the room?  That's an attic.  There's another one at the other end of the room.  We've been going through everything stored there, decided what needs to be kept, donated, or sold.  We are being rather brutal - we will be getting rid of a lot of stuff.  I'm ready to live a more simple life - why keep storing stuff that we don't need!  The downside is that everything we're getting rid of needs to be carried down two flights of stairs to the garage.

Once we're done with the attic I plan to go through the other rooms in the house paring down our belongings.  It's amazing how much stuff you accumulate when you're in the same house for 20 years!

Meanwhile, I'm going through withdrawal - from quilting!  Oh, how much a want to fondle some fabric, pick up a needle and thread, sew a stitch!

I watched a PBS show recently - Craft in America.  One of the featured artists, a weaver, had the most interesting view on making art.  Someone had asked him how he could focus his entire life's work doing something that is not essential to living.  I can't remember his exact words, but he said that these things we make with our hands ARE essential to life.  We all need to see, feel, experience art in all its forms.  I know I do!

1 comment:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

when you need a break, see if you can get a copy of Naomi Wolfe's book The TreeHouse. She tells how, if we are drwan to create, the world is a duller place if we dont