Thursday, November 1, 2012

Slow Day, Some Piecing Tips


Basket-a-day.  Glad these little blocks don't take long to do!  I've got it down now.  Maybe I'll time my block tomorrow to see exactly how long one block takes me.


You know, I've always said that I'm not a good piecer.  But the last year I thing my piecing skills are finally improving.  The keys things that are important for me are:

1.  Careful pressing:  I have to be very mindful of which way seams should be pressed, and make sure I  press each seam carefully and flat.

2.  Use a SCANT quarter inch seam!  See the photo above.  In the past I would have sewn that horizontal seam a quarter of an inch from the top edge of the fabric, crossing over the middle of the X made by the 2 other seams.  But I find it works MUCH better to use a very scant seam allowance, sewing on the outside of that X.   In the past, I never allowed for the tiny amount of fabric required to fold over the seam allowance.  That tiny bit adds up quickly!

3.  Take you time!  Slow and steady wins the race.  Even though a block is simple to piece, rushing through it usually causes small deviations in the seam allowance.  If I take my time, all the time, clip threads, press correctly, my results are always better.



Group shot - 9 blocks done!  Happy little baskets.

I didn't do much else today.  Still battling a touch of something.  Plus we've had a workman here ALL day.  Hubby took a day of vacation to oversee the work.  I didn't know how many trick-or-treaters we'd have here in our new home so I bought TONS of candy.  We didn't have many.  Only 8.  Lots of candy for me and hubby!

No comments: