Sunday, March 22, 2009

One Down, One to Go

I finished Sunrise Through the Pines today - yay me!  Finished size is 47" x 43."  

Okay, I know, only a quilt top.  Not REALLY finished.  But it's a step in the right direction.

This was SO much fun to make.  I love it's wonkiness.  I have big plans for the quilting process and can't wait to get started.  Imagine LOTS on wonky concentric circles of quilting, echoed with couched fibers.  Can you see it?  I have a very clear picture of the finished quilt in my mind, something that doesn't happen to me often.  Usually the quilting is the part of the process I struggle with - what thread to use, how it should look, how heavy should it be.  But this quilt is telling me loudly and clearly what to do next.  And I'm listening.

When I first finished the quilt, I decided it needed a bit more height, but I didn't want to add another row of nine patch blocks because I didn't want a square quilt.  I had a pile of little pieced squares left over though, so I added a row of them at the top and another row at the bottom.  I like the way they continue the design in a scrappy way.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That's beautiful!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Yay for you, indeed. Good job. I love wonky blocks.