Friday, January 23, 2009

Back to the Vegetables

No, I'm not talking dieting.  I made it up to my studio today!  Yay me!  I layered my little canvas tomato piece on some hand dyed fabric, with batting and backing.  I did a bit of machine quilting around the tomatoes.  Now I'm ready to attack it with LOTS of hand stitching and embroidery.  I've got my shoe box of embroidery floss by my side - hope to get going on it tonight.

I also made more blue strippy blocks.  I'm almost done making the blocks; hopefully I'll get them sewn together next week.

Someone asked me recently about my monthly stash quilts on my 2009 goal list.  So I thought others might be wondering the same things.

How big will they be?
I'm not sure.  I'd like for a couple of them to be twin sized, which is very big for me.  But many will be art quilts, averaging 40" by 40".  But some may be smaller.

Do you have to have them quilted and bound each month?
Most people would probably say 'yes' to this, but since I'm making up my own rules, I'm going to be lenient on myself.  If I can get the top done each month, I'll be satisfied.  Besides, I'm thinking this blue one will make a great background for a portrait, I'm just not sure which one yet.  So I'm not going to put pressure on myself to get the as yet unknown portrait done by the end of the month.  But I'll certainly have finished the blue strippy background by then.

Do you already know which color you'll work on each month?
No, I'll pick each month's color as I go.  And sometimes I'll combine colors.  For instance, when when I work on the orange drawer, I may add some blue into the mix.  So all the quilts will not be monochromatic.  I'm still not even sure which color I'll work on in February.  Red would seen appropriate, but we'll see...

My brother called this afternoon and cancelled their trip.  So our weekend is suddenly free and my house is very clean.  


No comments: