Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Stitching in the Ditch


This is a quilt I basted last week. This morning I got busy and did some stitching in the ditch. In the past, this is a skill I've struggled with.  You would think it would be easy, just sewing in a straight line, but my line was never ever very straight.

This morning I read something on Wanda's blog that made me pause.  She said, "I always told my students to sew at the pace that they can make straight seams, no faster."

She wasn't even talking about stitching in the ditch; she was referring to piecing so that seams match.  But I was thinking about stitching in the ditch!

It worked!  I slowed down my pace, and it made so much of a difference!


Not bad, huh?  It's not perfect everywhere on the quilt, but it's certainly an improvement for me.


Tonight I started adding some perle cotton hand quilting.  This part will take some time, but I do enjoy it.


Cute little kitty!

Before my ditch stitchin', I finished the binding and sleeve on another quilt.  Yay, love a finish!

2 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

Lovely ditch stitching. And lovely hand accent stitching too!

Kitchener Quilter said...

I do my SID pretty slowly, which is the only way it works for me. And I can only do it with my straight foot, not free motion. Yours looks pretty good to me!