I took one look at those blasted nine patch blocks on my design wall this morning and realized I was going nowhere fast with this piece. So I did what every self respecting quilter should do. I pulled all the blocks off the wall and sliced them up!
I cut them all in half the same way, with a diagonal cut. Not all the blocks were nine patches; some were strip pieced, or whatever, but I cut them all exactly the same way.
So now I had a big pile of mixed up, cut up blocks.
So I went to work putting them back on the wall, all mixed up. I didn't put any thought into how they went up except for trying to spread the orange around a bit.
I like it so much better now! Click on the image if you want to see a close-up. This is much more free, much less contrived. And that suits me just fine.