Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pink Strip Set and a Story Worth Repeating

Our daughters have both gone back to their respective colleges.  It was a fun and busy weekend.  Lots and lots of studying took place, including Calculus, Organic Chemistry, Computers, etc., most of which is way beyond me.  In between, there was high school football, college football (on TV), a bit of shopping, lots of eating, laundry, and dog petting.  Now it's back to quiet time around here (except for the occasionally dog barking).

This afternoon, I wanted to sew, but I couldn't decide what to work on.  I have several shoe boxes of small scraps organized by color - I sorted them during an anal couple of days a few years ago.  Since then my scraps are thrown into a huge blue bucket, no matter the color.  Anyway, I pulled out the pink box and started strip piecing the scraps.  I like the way it looks.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet, but it was mindless and productive.  Maybe I'll dive into another color box tomorrow.

Now to a more serious story.  My husband received this e-mail today from a coworker.  It's such a touching, true story, that I wanted to share it with you.  Here goes:

"The truth is often even more amazing than fiction.

As a bit of background, my cousin, her husband, and their 4 year old son have been going through a tough time this year.  About this time last year her husband was diagnosed with small cell carcinoma (an aggressive form of cancer).  The doctors told the family it was treatable, but that it almost always came back even if chemo got rid of it.  He went through many rough treatments, and the doctors declared him cancer free around Spring of this year.  About a month ago the cancer came back and the diagnosis was not good.  The told him to quit his job and try to enjoy his Thanksgiving and Christmas, that he just had months left to live.  As you can imagine, my cousin was devastated, our whole family was.  Everyone was struggling to understand this tragedy.  It turns out the one with the least information understood it all better than we did.  Their son had been as sheltered as he could be from what all was going on with his daddy, but he knew he was sick.  This past Tuesday, my cousin was driving him to daycare.  Their son was in his car seat in the back.  He said, "Mommy, there's someone in the front seat with you."  Mom, thinking he was being his usual silly self, asked him who was up in the front seat with her.  He said, "God is in the front seat with you."  She was shocked and she asked him what God was doing in the front seat.  He replied, "He is putting a blanket on your shoulders."  His mom, of course, lost it at this point and began to cry.  Her 4 year old asked her, "Mommy, why are you making that face?", his way of asking her why she is crying.  She was not able to say much, but he then responded, "Mommy, God tried to fix Daddy, but he just couldn't."

The next day she took her husband to the hospital and they told him he had only days left.  He died at 5:00 this morning.  God just couldn't fix him.  Life through the eyes of a 4 year old."

God bless this family.






No comments: