Thursday, May 23, 2013

COLOR! (And a Recipe...)


Are you tired of seeing Market photos yet? I love looking back through them and getting inspired all over again.

Even though I slept great while in Portland, my body still came home tired. I'm feeling more human today...and I'm having withdrawal symptoms from lack of sewing. Today I must find time to pick up a needle and thread and fabric! (After I vacuum....) I'm also missing Peggy - we were together 24/7 for four days straight - gotta call you today, Peggy!


Here's another shot of color from Portland. I was told these are Rhododendron. What huge, gorgeous blooms!


Okay. Now for the food part of this post. I found these at the grocery store yesterday. I can totally endorse them - they are heavenly!!!!

And now for the recipe! My mother gave me this recipe which appeared in the Augusta, GA, newspaper several weeks ago. Both she and my brother's girlfriend have been making it to rave reviews, so last night it was my turn. We had both our daughters here for dinner and I thought they might like to try it.

It was a HUGE hit and they both wanted the recipe. So I thought you might like it, too.


CHICKEN AND PESTO ORZO SKILLET

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken cut into 1 inch pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups dried orzo (pasta)
3 cups chicken broth
8 ounces jarred or fresh basil pesto
2 cups baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
2 cups grape tomatoes (or halved cherry tomatoes)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese OR 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken, salt and pepper; saute until evenly browned, about 3 minutes. 

Stir in orzo and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

Remove lid; stir in pesto, spinach, tomatoes, and cheese.

Makes 6 servings.

NOTE: I'll tell you a little secret. When I made this last night, I substituted a 12.5 ounce can of drained canned chicken (oh, the horror!) It was buy one, get one free yesterday at Publix. It was great in the recipe and a real time saver! Also, I chose to use feta cheese, but I used the entire 4 ounce package - love me some cheese!



2 comments:

Lynn said...

That chicken recipe sounds really good! I've copied it to add to my file. I think I will try it soon. I'll put it on the menu for next week. Thanks for sharing!

Kitchener Quilter said...

Love your market photos, keep them coming!