Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Guild Meeting....And the Straw

Yesterday was our Quilt Guild's Christmas Coffee. Look at that spread! We never have a speaker in December: it's all about visiting and eating, and plenty of both were done! It did me so much good to be around friends. I had to miss last month's meeting because Dad was in the hospital. We played some really fun games as well - I'll try to share them later this week.
Here's Gwen in her colorful vest, made from a thrift store vest.
And Lori rocked her Grinch t-shirt.

In family news, Mickey was not getting better. I took him to the vet yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately the news was not very good. I was hoping it was a leg problem, but it's his back. The doctor seemed very concerned; in fact he told me if he got worse during the night to bring him to the emergency animal clinic.

Dr. A gave him a steroid injection, and prescriptions for more steroids and muscle relaxers. Mickey needs to stay as immobile as possible. We have to carry him out to potty and carry him back inside. No stairs for this rest of his life! And Dr. A wants to see him again today.

Hubby was out of town overnight. I let Mickey sleep with me so I could keep an eye on him. He had a good night and is no worse this morning. Not sure what will come next - I just hope he starts getting better from the steroids and doesn't need a more invasive treatment.

Last night, I felt like the world was collapsing around me. Mickey's back, though not the most important thing going on in my life, seemed to be that straw that would break this camel's back. I'm trying to keep good thoughts today, trying to stay upbeat and positive, and trying to focus on my many blessings - I have lots of those!

Dad continues to complain. It upsets Mom, and she's not eating enough. She comes home from visits with him totally stressed. We hope this will change over the weeks to come.
Something interesting: I know this looks like a typical shot of the Costco parking lot. But look closer. Click the picture to make it bigger. That's a huge hawk on top of the gray SUV. He swooped around the lot a few times, maybe hoping someone would drop a mega-sized pack of bacon.

3 comments:

sosarahsew said...

That hawk is quite camouflaged with all the grey vehicles.

I hope for healthy improvements for all your family members soon. I have responsibility for my MIL (4 states away) and she was pretending to be "unconscious" a couple weeks ago trying to not have to get up from bed, get dressed, comb her hair, and just generally get sympathy. I'm visiting her now, but not sure what will happen when I go home on Friday.

Zanymouse said...

Oh my, I'm sorry everything seems to be falling apart around you. It's noticing the little wonders, like that beautiful hawk, that will keep you going. One foot in front of the other, it will get better. Take some time for yourself, such as going for a walk in the fresh air, or reading a book for a couple hours. It really helps to just stop and take a deep breath sometimes. You'll get through this, Julia.

Lynn said...

Poor Mickey (and you)!