Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Portrait Surprise

There was so much traffic on my blog yesterday after being featured on the selvage blog!  Welcome new friends - glad to have you around in my blog-i-sphere!  For all you newcomers, I'm currently working on a quilt portrait of one of our dogs, Patches.  Doesn't he have the perfect name for a quilter's dog?  My book, Fabric Photo Play (published by the American Quilter's Society in Paducah) explains the technique I developed several years ago to make portrait quilts.

Sometimes I make portraits using fusible applique.  I've also done them with machine applique.  For this quilt I'm doing hand applique.  It's a bit time consuming, but I'm really enjoying the process.  I only started this project a couple of weeks ago, and it's coming along faster than I expected.

Last night I went through my stash looking for a fabric for parts of Patches' face and chest.  I needed something that would read as light gray from a distance.  In the bottom of my black/white drawer I found this.


It's perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can you see why?  No?  Get a little closer.....
I don't remember buying this.  I don't even remember seeing it before!  Is this not adorable!!!
The selvage says it's by Nancy Wolff designs.  There's no telling how old it is, but I wish a had more.  I don't have quite enough of it, so I'll find another fabric to go with it.

When I make a portrait quilt, I love to "hide" a couple of fabrics that you don't notice from a distance.  But when you get closer, you can see them - fun and happy little surprises, just like this fabric.  Once I did a portrait of one of my nephews and I used dinosaur fabric along with candy fabric in various spots.  I love to find a fabric that relates to the portrait subject AND fits in with the color scheme I'm trying to accomplish.
Daughter 2 is coming home from college for Easter break.  I threw together a fruit salad this morning using whatever fruits I could find in the kitchen: banana, apple, strawberries, mandarin oranges, and pineapple chunks.  I've got a crock pot of baked potato soup simmering as we speak.  Yummy!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm following your portrait progress closely! I bought a sheltie pattern a couple of years ago and have been collecting fabrics for it, but haven't started yet. Maybe I can work up the courage to start it by watching your step by steps!