Friday, November 5, 2010

Houston, Day 1

What a great time I'm having! I was at the Convention Center yesterday just as they opened. I walked from my hotel with a lovely woman from Germany. Here's the very first photo I took - Sharon Schamber showing the back of her Best of Show quilt - lovely! It may be hard to see here, but those white things are actually little mirrors. Her backsides are always as gorgeous as her fronts!
And here's my friend, Judy R.'s Schizo Rose, hanging in the Celebrate Spring exhibit - LOVELY!
At first this quilt didn't catch my eye, but then I looked closer. The "plain" blocks were each quilted with a face - it's called Multiple Personalities.

See what I mean? Very cool, indeed!
And of course, I'm always a sucker for a dog quilt! This one is a digitally tranferred photo that has been heavily quilted.

Many, many more photos to come - I may post multiple times today.

And the shopping!!! Oh my! I came back to my hotel yesterday afternoon and dropped off a load. Then last night after another round, the strap on my tote bag broke - a sure sign that I've overdone the shopping a bit... I'll show pics of some of loot eventually, too.

Last night I had dinner at a Mexican restaurant with my two Birmingham friends (one lives in Seattle now). It was a wonderful end to a wonderful day. Then at MIDNIGHT(!!!), while sleeping away, the fire alarm in my hotel went off, LOUDLY. I threw on my clothes (no socks, no bra) and went out in the hall, debating on whether to grab my loot from the show. I decided there was too much to carry, and that I'd better just concentrate on saving my life. Luckily, it was a false alarm and we were able to return to our rooms after 15 minutes.

3 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Good morning julia! We are on our way... Get to Houston around noon. Call ya later! Great pics!!
Fire alarm ! Eek! What a bummer!! Glad you saved yourself! :-)

Mary Keasler said...

Great to see Judy R's "rose" It is one of my favs.

Mary Keasler said...

Oh, and please say hello to Judy for me.