Thursday, September 17, 2009

Why I Love My HQ16

I quilted my first large project on my new machine today.  This is a t-shirt quilt so all it needed was a large meandering pattern.  But this machine accomplished the task so well.

I love the way the machine is out of my way. 

 I love the way the table fits perfectly into my little dormer nook.  I don't have to worry about the quilt sliding off the table, so no drag at all, even when working on a large project such as this.

I love the fact that the bobbin is so big.  I only had to change it once while I did this quilt.

I love the speed control on the machine.  I set it at a certain speed, then push my foot all the way down on the pedal.  This gives me consistent stitches.  For now I have the speed set fairly low, but as my skills improve I know I can speed things up.

I love the fact that (unlike with my domestic sewing machine) I didn't feel like I was in a wrestling match with the quilt.  The table is nice and big so it is able to support even a large quilt well.

Of course, I'm not planning to quilt everything in this meandering fashion.  I want to learn feathers and other cool patterns.  And I know with lots of practice, I'll get there.  I see lots of finished projects in my future.

1 comment:

A Creative Life said...

Yes, go Julia, it always takes a while to settle into a new equipment. I have had this experience with my Husqavarna SE, what a beautiful piece of machinery, I have owned since the last three years, but only since the begining of this year I am really committing myself to it. But I know that you won't take as long I did. Good Luck.