Friday, September 11, 2009

How to Make a T-Shirt Quilt: Part 4

Now we're going to adjust the size of some of the t-shirt blocks so they will fit into our graph paper plan.  Let's use block Number 14 in my quilt for our example.  It's in the lower right corner of the plan below.  You may need to click on the photo to get a clear look.

Do you see that the gap above block 14 is three squares wide instead of only 1?  Let's see if we can fix that.
I pull that block and grab my ruler.  Since the space is two squares bigger than we need, I'd like to increase the size of this block by 4 inches, finished.  (Remember, when we did our initial measurements, we wrote down the MINIMUM size - now you know why!)   I check the block to see if I have enough room to make it 4 inches bigger on that side, plus 1/2 inch for seam allowance.  Woo Hoo!  It will work!
Now I make sure I mark the correction on my handy list - see how I changed the 10 to a 14?  Remember, this list indicates FINISHED sizes of blocks (no seam allowances).
I also mark the change on my graph paper plan, extending the size accordingly.  Repeat this step on as many blocks as necessary, aiming for a one square space (2 inches) between all blocks.

Sometimes you will find that there is not enough extra fabric around an emblem to cut it bigger.  What to do?  Stay tuned!

No comments: