Monday, August 22, 2011

Dead Computer

I haven't blogged in a few days because my beloved laptop died on Saturday night. It had not been feeling well for a couple of weeks, but I was really hoping it would last until September. I was working on an important project (quilting book proposal) and I was OH SO close to being done.

BUT, it wasn't to be. BUMMER.

I took it to the hospital (Apple store) Sunday. They agreed that my prognosis was correct. The computer is done. So I bought a new one and paid extra to have them try to save the data on my old, dead one and move it to the new one. I was supposed to go pick them both up tonight. But just before my appointment they called to cancel. The data transfer was taking longer than they expected, and was more difficult than they expected. Oh. Dear. They will call me tomorrow.

Please keep your fingers and toes crossed that they are able to save my files, especially my pictures and the book proposal. Pretty please.

3 comments:

wheelerfamily said...

Dear Julia,

My harddrive just died on my iMac, but fortunately I had an external harddrive that used the Mac program Time Machine to back up all my data. The only snaf-foo was that SOMEBODY (not me, because I didn't even know these choices exist) told the Time Machine program to back up the date, but NOT back up the programs that I'd purchased over the internet and downloaded. So, I had the data, but no data to run it :(. However, my computer guru boys got me back up and running. I highly suggest an external drive that takes advantage of the Time Machine backup program that should be standard on your new computer. Plus it gives you so much more storage for all those wonderful quilt projects you're designing!!!
I'll be praying that they can recover all your data, programs, etc!!! I look forward to hearing about your new project!
Cyndi Wheeler

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I hope they're able to save all your stuff. That reminds me that I need to back up my computer files, at least my photos. Is that hard to do?

Kentish Keg-Meg said...

Will certainly be keeping my fingers crossed for you Julia.