Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Pop Tab Necklace


Today's post is obviously not a quilt, but it is indeed "green."  Last month while visiting Greenville, SC, I spotted a cool necklace in the window of an art gallery.  Unfortunately the gallery was closed, so I couldn't get too close.  But I could get close enough to realize it was made from recycled pop tabs from soft drinks!  How cool is that?

Of course, like I always do, I thought, "I could make that."  Usually I don't follow through with these thoughts.  But this time I did.  I happened to have a huge collection of pop tabs saved.  Does being a quilter turn one into a hoarder?  But I digress....

So during a boring TV show, I sat and snipped pop tabs, and hooking them together.  A stack of four pop tabs makes up each link in the chain with the pretty sides out.  I made the necklace long enough to slip over my head so I wouldn't have to worry about a clasp.  It took about an hour and a half and over 150 pop tabs.  Cool, huh?

4 comments:

The Southern Mom said...

Very cool! Love the idea.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a clever idea

Anonymous said...

Lovely idea

Anonymous said...

Coolio.