Monday, September 22, 2008

Furman University Weekend


I've been away a few days for a fun packed weekend at Furman University for Family Weekend.  My younger daughter is a freshman there.  This was our first time to see her since she moved away from home.  It's a bit far to come home very often and it was good to see how happy she is there.  Furman had lots of activities for family and friends of student over the weekend.  On Friday, we toured Cliffs Cottage, a Southern Living home that was recently built on the campus to showcase sustainable home building.  It was, of course, gorgeous!  From the rain chains (instead of downspouts) and the bamboo flooring to the recycled water bottle bathroom counters, it was jam packed with eco-friendly ideas.  I could have moved right in, except there wasn't a room I could use for my sewing studio.  Oh well...
After the house tour, my hubby and I went to the art building where there was to be a "textile" exhibit.  I was a bit apprehensive.  The word "textile" could indicate so many things!  I really thought it might be something I had no interest in.  BUT NO!  It was ART QUILTS!  It was a one woman show by Terry Jarrard-Dimond of Clemson, SC.  I loved her work!  It was contemporary and graphic, with dense machine quilting.  I took lots of photos, but I'm hesitant to post any without her permission.  I've haven't been able to find a website for her.  If anyone knows how to contact her, let me know!

Friday night, we ate dinner with our daughter and her friends at the DH (dining hall), before attending a Band Extravaganza - an hour long concert by the Furman Marching Band, complete with disco ball and other cool effects.  What fun, especially since our daughter plays clarinet in said band!

On Saturday, my brother and his three sons joined us for a pre-game band family picnic, a quick walk around campus, and then the highlight of the weekend - the Furman vs. Delaware football game.  Furman won!  And the band was phenomenal!

Sunday we went to church with our daughter, her friends, and their parents.  Before leaving we all enjoyed a yummy breakfast out before our five hour drive home.  It was a great time!  And no, I didn't spend a dime on quilting!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all had a great weekend.

Terry said...

Hi Julia, I am Terry Jarrard-Dimond. Please email me at:tjarrard-dimond@earthlink.net and give your email address. I was delighted to read that you saw my show at Furman and appreciated your positive comments. Terry