Friday, September 26, 2008

An Art Quilt a Day...

I started this piece yesterday and finished it today - a quickie.  It's another attempt to artfully use some of my stash.  Click on the picture to enlarge so you can see my vertical quilting, inspired by the work I saw last weekend on Furman's campus.  My husband said it reminds him of the ocean floor going up to the sky.  He also likes it better upside down from this view, the ocean floor being the purple and blue end.  I need a title for it - any ideas?  Please let me know.  I think this may be the beginning of a series.  I have some leftover pre-cut diamonds somewhere in my studio - they may make up the next one.

While pulling fabric for this piece, I found the coolest piece of fabric!  It was a half yard of a gorgeous print - I don't even know where or when I got it, but I can't wait to use more of it.

An update on a previous project:  I'm still appliqueing away on the vintage circle quilt, made from the hexagon blocks.  I've finished 10 circles - only 40 something to go!

And I have something HUGE to celebrate today!  I've officially been on this "green" journey for one month!  And though I've been tempted a few times, so far so good.  Last week I even had to go to Hancock's Fabric to buy some corkscrew upholstery  pins to take to my daughter at Furman to pin a storage thingy under her mattress.  I had to walk through the entire store to get to said pins.  I took a deep breath, held my head high, and kept my eyes straight in front of me.  I wouldn't let myself even glimpse at fabric.  I paid my bill of $2.38 and got out of there successfully.  Yay me!

Some friends think I'm absolutely batty for even attempting this - I can understand why.  One of the best things about being a quilter is collecting fabric.  And I know some think we shouldn't stop spending when the economy is in dire trouble.  But I think we all need to think about our own finances first and foremost.  The rest will hopefully fall into place. We hope!!

We woke up before 5 to sirens and lots of smoke this morning - I knew something big had happened nearby.  When I was running some errands with my mom later in the morning, I saw what it was.  A nearby apartment complex had a huge fire.  Eight units were destroyed, leaving many homeless.  Several minor injuries were reported, though luckily none serious.  God bless those people!  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congragulations Julia for reaching a month on your green journey. It must have taken hugh will power when in the fabric shop.
I love your colour scheme on the quilt .Looking forward to seeing the other one you mention.
Thank goodness that nobody was serious hurt in the fire which sounnds like it was devastating to those appartments.

The Southern Mom said...

I really, really wish I had your willpower...so does my husband! (Oops, he just found out I buy fabric on e-bay!) But, I'm loving your blog!