Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Teeny Tiny Nine Patch Tutorial: Part 2

To continue, sew a seam one quarter inch from each end.  These seams should be PERPENDICULAR to the original seams:


Cut apart again, into three 1 inch sections:
At this point, press these two seams OPEN.  I have the bottom section seam-up to illustrate:
Sew the middle strip sets to each double set, pressing the seams open.  You now have two teeny tiny nine patches!
For the final pressing, give each a spritz of sizing, a shot with a hot steamy iron, and then immediately put a heavy book on top of them.  When they cool, they'll be as flat as pancake.

My own goal is to make one set (2 blocks) per day.  What's your goal?

3 comments:

Carrie said...

As I read through your posts (and looked at the pictures) I was literally blown away with how easy that is. Why have I been doing 9 patch the hard way this entire time? Thanks! And ps, I've almost completed my first queen sized quilt (my aunt quilted it for me). All that's left is the binding. I bet I could add some nine patch fun on at the end of a day of stitching.

Anonymous said...

I made my first pair of teeny, tiny 9 patches tonight. Great method; insane scale. Bwa hahahahaha! They are my new "leaders" and "enders" for now.

Anonymous said...

So far, so good.... still having fun. Hey! I think the rockstar quilters on this blog (you KNOW who you are!!!) should make "Disappearing Nine Patch" quilts out of these!