Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hexie Love

Here's my latest stash busting project.  I'm loving these hexies!  They make a great project for me to work on when I watch TV in the evening.  More on these later.

Saturday was my mother's 80th birthday.  And she doesn't look a day over 65.  Hubby and I had my parents over to grill out steaks to honor the occasion.  My brother and his sons came from Augusta, GA, to join in the fun.  I made her a yummy birthday cake, too.  We had a great day.  The only casualty was my nephew's Ipod Touch - he lost it while here.  We looked everywhere in our house and haven't found it yet.  I'm sure it will turn up when we least expect it.

Today will be a FANTASTIC day!  I'm starting a two day class with Ginny Eckley.  I saw her on Quilting Arts TV a few weeks ago.  Her work is amazing!  We'll be painting an image on fabric and painting a separate background piece.  Then we'll fuse the image to the background and add trims to make a lovely vignette.  We'll be screen printing, too.  I'm so excited about her screen printing techniques.  I've always wanted to be able to design my own screen prints, but it seemed so costly to get a thermofax machine.  And those toxic chemicals from emulsions - I didn't want to go there.

But she has a product that makes it so easy!  It's a nylon screen that comes already coated with the emulsion.  So all you have to do is print an image on a transparency sheet, place it on the coated screen, and either put it in the bright sun for one minute or put it on a light box for about 10 minutes.  Then you rinse the screen - the area of the image rinses out.  Voila - your own custom screen print!  Can't wait to try this!

No comments: