Friday, March 5, 2010

My New Toy

I bought a Featherweight!!!!  I've always wanted one.  Several members of my quilt guild have them, bringing them to retreats for piecing.  I'm always hearing about their perfect stitches and easy portability.  I know, I needed another sewing machine like I need another dog.  Whatever. 

I bought it at a nearby estate sale.  The older couple had both died in a car accident - a drunk driver ran into them.  So sad.  The woman had been a quilter and a quilt collector.  I've never seen so many old quilts in one place!  She also had old quilt blocks, tons of quilting books, thread, notions, fabric...you name it, she had it.  She had two Featherweights, plus another old machine.  I got one, and two of my fellow guild members bought the other machines.

I don't know ANYTHING about Featherweights, but I'll have fun learning.  My machine also came with the original table that it fits in giving it a level sewing surface.  I was told that it's a nice thing to have.  It didn't come with a carrying case, but I'm not too worried about that.  I plan on cleaning it up and getting it in great working order.  When I will do this - who knows!  It will be on the back burner while we're dealing with selling our house and buying another one.

We've had a lot of house showings this week.  We're going to keep it for sale by owner through the weekend, then list it with an agent next week if it hasn't sold by then. Meanwhile, I continue to sort through stuff, trying to get rid of as much as I can.  We are not trying not to get our hopes up.  We know our house may not sell quickly.  And we will not take on a new house without selling this one.  The good thing is that we don't have to move.


3 comments:

Carrie said...

Welcome to the featherweight club!!

Marty Mason said...

Aren't you the lucky one! What a great find. Stop counting your toys and enjoy!

Alathia said...

Cool! Feathweight 221 The Perfect Portable by Nancy Johnson-Srebro (3rd Ed.) is a great reference book. The manual for the machine is also reprinted in the back of the book. You'll learn all kinds of things you never knew you wanted to know about Featherweight's. =o) Enjoy your new machine. They do make pretty stitches.