Friday, July 2, 2010

Printing with Leaves

For the next layer of my quilt, I started adding geranium leaves.  Luckily, I have a geranium plant on my deck.  So I picked several leaves of various sizes and got to work.  I painted the back side of a leaf.  The back side of most leaves have more pronounced veins.
Then I placed the leaf on the surface of the quilt, pressing it carefully with my fingers.  Again, I was in a hurry and didn't do this step the proper way.  You're supposed to put a piece of glass over the leaf and press down.  Oh well.  My way worked, too!
And here's how it turned out.  You can see I used different shades of green.  I'm liking the effect.
So here's my progress, with the screen printed vines, the green wash, and the printed leaves.  I plan to add more printed leaves before I add the blooms.


Carrie said...

I can't believe how good it's looking! I'm really impressed with your creativity.

wheelerfamily said...


I love what you are doing!! This quilt is going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished project! Cyndi W.