Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Flowers Are Blooming...

After a few days off to celebrate the Fourth with my family, I'm back at the geranium project.  Up to this point, I've been painting with the fabric flat on my cutting table (with a plastic drop cloth underneath).  I've been using lots of water with the paints and wanted to prevent drips.  But this morning I went vertical again!  I pinned the piece to my design wall (yes, with plastic underneath!).  Much better!  It's so much easier to back up and view.  So this is what it looked like first thing today.

Time to add flowers.  I'd planned on cutting the blossoms freeform from pinks and red fabrics.  Tried it.  Didn't work.  They looked too stark against the entirely painted piece.  Plan B:  Paint the flowers.
This is more like it!  And it's much quicker than fusing and cutting bits of fabric.  Yay!!
Sorry for the blurry pink one - I just got contacts (after 10 years without them).  I'm still adjusting to taking pictures with my "new eyes."
And here's how it looks after about 15 minutes of dabbing on blossoms.  I'm going to let it dry and look at it again this afternoon to see if I need to touch up something.  I'm almost done and ready to quilt!

I can't believe I've made this quilt top in barely over a week-  MUCH faster than I usually work.

In other news, we took our house off the market.  We'd always planned to try to sell it for 3 months and then take a break.  We don't want to be bogged down in selling and buying and moving too close to the wedding.  Meanwhile, we're making a few updates to the home and will try again in a year or two.  It's good to be able to make a big mess in my studio again!

3 comments:

free indeed said...

THat is beautiful! I love it. When I saw it, I remembered the picture it was designed from....great work! Wish I had your talent!

Susan Ramey Cleveland said...

Cindy W. showed us pics of this at bee on Monday. It's beautiful.

Chris said...

Gorgeous!